How to Listen to Audiobooks on the Road | Mesilla Valley Transportation
Focusing on the road is extremely important for any driver, especially for truck drivers. Truck drivers are more likely to become fatigued, bored, and drowsy due to being on the road for hours, which can immensely impact driving skills. Rather than force yourself to stay alert on the road, it is important to take advantage of all the entertainment available to you. One way to help your trip become more interesting and fun are by listening to audiobooks because it will keep you entertained, alert and safe all at the same time.
If you are not familiar with audiobooks or where to get them, here is a list of places where you can find audiobooks that will keep you entertained on and off the road.
- AudioBooks.com: Audiobooks.com offers 250,000+ premium titles plus two audiobooks from their exclusive VIP selection, access to audio news, and more. The subscription costs $14.95, there is no contract, and you can cancel anytime. They offer one audiobook and one bonus VIP book a month.
- SCRIBD: SCRIBD offers unlimited books and a 30-day free trial to subscribers. You can cancel any time after the trial ends or pay $9.99 a month to continue it.
- Kindle Unlimited: Kindle Unlimited is $9.99 a month with a 30-day free trial and a no-contract membership. You can use the Kindle App to access thousands of audiobooks.
- Audible Plus: Audible offers a 30-day trial and no-contract membership of only $7.95 that offers audiobooks, podcasts, and more.
- Truck Stops: Another option is to rent an audiobook at a truck stop, then return it at the next one. You can also purchase the audiobooks at truck stop convenience stores, but it might be pricey.
Free Audiobook Options:
- LibriVox: LibriVox is a non-profit that offers over 60,000 narrated books by real people for free. You can listen to them on a computer, an iPod, mobile device or burn them onto a CD or with the LibriVox Audiobooks app. You can also adjust the speed of the reader to accommodate you better.
- Local Library- You can also borrow audiobooks from your local library just like you would with a physical book. If you need to renew it, then you can do so by calling or renewing online. You can also use the OverDrive or Hoopla app to listen to your library’s audiobooks. Be sure to have your library card ready so you can start listening immediately.
These three YouTube channels offer narrations of all the classics like Art of War, Moby Dick, and more.
Drive for MVT
Did you know that Marvel came out with a comic book devoted to a truck driver superhero in the 80s? The comic book was called U.S. 1 and focused on an American trucker named Ulysses Archer, who vowed to track down his enemy, Highwayman, after running him off the road,...
Related Articles Drivers! Do you use the differential lock feature in your truck? If not, you should! Allan Dahringer, Director of Maintenance, goes over how and when to use your differential lock as well as its benefits! Check out these handy tips that can keep you...
Related Articles Watch to see Royal Jones, President & CEO, award driver Julio Rodriguez from Laredo, TX, a brand new car for having the best MPG average (9.79) and a perfect CSA score for the 3rd quarter of 2021! He started driving with us back in July of last...