Everyone wants to be able to take a drive somewhere and discover a new world. However, sometimes driving and listening to music just doesn’t cut it. Rather than just listen to the same songs on the radio, you can add audiobooks to your entertainment to get you through your drive!
If you are interested in listening to audiobooks, there are plenty of places to subscribe to their service or find free audiobooks. Currently, the audiobook subscriptions have no contract but vary in price. If you are not a fan of subscribing to services, you can also purchase or rent audiobooks at truck stops and return them at the next one. A free way to listen to audiobooks is by renting them at your local library or going onto YouTube and searching for audiobooks in the search bar. However, YouTube only allows audiobooks that are on the public domain, which means only the classics are available.
Below is a list of more details about the subscriptions and where to go for audiobooks.
- Audiobooks.com: The subscription costs $14.95, there is no contract, and you can cancel anytime.
- SCRIBD: SCRIBD offers unlimited books and a 30-day free trial to subscribers. The membership is $9.99 with no contract.
- Kindle Unlimited: Kindle Unlimited is $9.99 a month with a 30-day free trial and a no-contract membership.
- Audible Plus: Audible offers a 30-day trial and no-contract membership of only $7.95 that offers audiobooks, podcasts and more.
Free Audiobook Options:
- LibriVox: LibriVox is a non-profit that offers over 60,000 narrated books by real people for free. You can listen to them on a computer, from an iPod or mobile device or burn them onto a CD or with the LibriVox Audiobooks app. You can also adjust the speed of the reader to better accommodate you.
- Local Library- You can also borrow audiobooks from your local library just like you would with a physical book. If you need to renew it, then you can do so by calling or renewing online. You can also use the OverDrive or Hoopla app to listen to your library’s audiobooks. Be sure to have your library card ready so you can start listening immediately.
Finding a great audiobook can be difficult because it not only has to have a good plot, but be narrated by a great narrator. Here are some books that will make your long drive seem like it went by fast.
- “It” — Stephen King
- “The Long Haul: A Trucker’s Tales of Life on the Road”- Finn Murphy
- “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone”- J.K. Rowling
- “Little Fires Everywhere”- Celeste Ng
- “Sleeping Giants”- Sylvain Neuvel
- “World War Z” – Max Brooks
- “Into the Water” – Paula Hawkins
- “Uncommon Carriers”- John McPhee
Drive for MVT
Did you know that Marvel came out with a comic book devoted to a truck driver superhero in the 80s? The comic book was called U.S. 1 and focused on an American trucker named Ulysses Archer, who vowed to track down his enemy, Highwayman, after running him off the road,...
Related Articles Drivers! Do you use the differential lock feature in your truck? If not, you should! Allan Dahringer, Director of Maintenance, goes over how and when to use your differential lock as well as its benefits! Check out these handy tips that can keep you...
Related Articles Watch to see Royal Jones, President & CEO, award driver Julio Rodriguez from Laredo, TX, a brand new car for having the best MPG average (9.79) and a perfect CSA score for the 3rd quarter of 2021! He started driving with us back in July of last...